Date: 7 February 2017
A Gold Coast plastic surgeon who narrowly avoided jail after being convicted for sexual assault has previously had his registration suspended in the United Kingdom for misconduct.
Cesidio Colagrande, 48, was found guilty of assaulting a 24-year-old woman at his Southport clinic in May 2015 at his trial at the Southport District Court on Monday.
Colagrande was sentenced to nine months in prison, wholly suspended for 18 months.
Now it has been revealed Colagrande was given a 12-month suspension by Britain’s General Medical Council (GMC) in December 2004 after the council discovered he’d lied on his resume in a bid to get work with an esteemed London surgeon.
Colagrande is also being sued by Brisbane fashion guru and photographer Richard de Chazal.
In a claim filed at Brisbane Magistrates Court in July 2012, Mr de Chazal says Colagrande owes him $8550 for an unpaid invoice.
He is also seeking damages for the unlawful use of his photos by Colagrande.
Minutes obtained by AAP from the 2004 GMC hearing show Colagrande not only lied about when he had obtained his medical degree from the University of Queensland but made false claims to have held several positions at Queensland hospitals.
The hearing was told Colagrande’s CV claimed he’d received his degree in 1994 when in fact he received it in 1998.
Colagrande also admitted making up claims he’d worked as a plastic surgery registrar at the Royal Brisbane Hospital, Townsville General Hospital and Nagawindi Hospital.
It also shows he forged his GMC registration to show he’d obtained it in 1995, not 1999.
“Although this is a single incident, the Panel takes a very serious view of your dishonesty,” the hearing minutes read.
“The panel considers that the falsification of your GMC certificate and CV was a sophisticated and deliberate act of dishonesty which required some effort and consideration on your part to falsely provide additional years of training and experience.”
After finding Colagrande guilty of “serious professional misconduct”, the panel suspended his registration for 12 months.
Colagrande’s current registration status in Australia following his sexual assault conviction remains unclear.
AAP has sought comment from the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency about what, if any, action could be taken against Colagrande.
Speaking before his sentencing on Tuesday, Colagrande’s lawyer Peter Davis QC told the court a conviction and likely suspension of his registration would have an “enormous, fairly substantial impact” on his “lucrative” practice.